Marketing Needs a Rebellion – with Mark Schaefer
Consumers no longer trust traditional advertising, as evidenced by the 600M devices in the world with ad blockers. So, how DO customers want to relate to businesses now? How can we break down the barriers between companies and consumers? And what does a human-centered marketing model look like?
Mark Schaefer is the globally-recognized author, speaker and business consultant behind Businesses Grow, one of the top five marketing blogs in the world. Mark’s client roster includes Pfizer, Cisco, Dell, Adidas, and the US Air Force, and his work has appeared on CNN, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, among many other media outlets. Mark has written eight bestselling books, and his latest release, Marketing Rebellion: The Most Human Company Wins, hit the top spot on Amazon in the Advertising and Marketing categories.
On this episode, Mark describes the changing role of the marketer, explaining why we must create shareable content and experiences that customers are keen to share. He discusses how we can use technology for good to reduce the barriers between businesses and consumers, introducing us to the idea of helping our customers feel like they belong. Listen in to understand why entrepreneurs are better suited to navigate this changing world than big companies and learn how to join the rebellion for yourself—and market your business in a new way!
In this episode you’ll learn about the Marketing Rebellion with Mark Schaefer as well as…
- The challenge Mark faced in finding the right title for his new book.
- How Mark realized that the customer IS the marketer of today.
- The marketer’s role in creating shareable content and experiences.
- Using tech to reduce the barriers between companies + consumers.
- Why marketing needs to focus on the human needs of customers.
- How Yeti leveraged outdoor guides to tell their brand story.
- Why entrepreneurs are ideally suited for the new marketing world.
- How to reframe the function of video content to tell stories.
- The value of recognizing trends to make smart business decisions.
Other links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening !
After you listen, check out The Gentle Business Manifesto, an invitation to belong to a movement of people who do business the gentle way and disrupt the current marketing paradigm. You can download it for free at thegentlebusinessrevolution.com. There’s no opt-in. Just an instant download.
If you enjoyed the podcast, I would be super grateful if you’d share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave a review on iTunes. I’m told that they really matter so if you’d take a minute I’d appreciate it.
Raise your hand and join the Gentle Business Revolution.