When Joanna Penn was laid off from her job as a business consultant during the height of the financial crisis, she made the decision to never again let one company control all her income. Though she was able to secure another job in the same field relatively quickly, Joanna initiated a side hustle and self-published her first book, Career Change.
By 2011, Joanna was able to get rid of the golden handcuffs for good and pursue writing full-time. Today, she is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, writing thrillers under the name J.F. Penn. She also writes inspirational non-fiction for authors, and her website, TheCreativePenn.com, is regularly voted one of the top 10 sites for writers and self-publishers. Joanna is a professional speaker as well, and she was voted as one of The Guardian Top 100 Creative Professionals of 2013.
To date, Joanna has written 21 books and sold over 500,000 copies in 84 countries and five languages. She runs a small publishing company, Curl Up Press, with her husband in Bath, England. Today she shares the advantages of creating intellectual property assets to generate income long-term, the necessity of outsourcing to scale your business, and her introverted approach to book launch and promotion. Listen and learn how to generate multiple revenue streams and leave a legacy of your own!
In this episode you’ll learn…
- How Joanna generates income via five diverse income streams.
- Why she focuses on intellectual property assets to make money long-term.
- How to outsource in order to grow.
- How an introvert’s ability to enjoy hours and hours in her own head lends itself to writing.
- Her introverted approach to book launch and promotion.
- How to think of ‘extrovert’ as a verb.
- Her hesitance to engage in phone conversations.
- When she made the choice to never again let one company control all her income.
- The necessity of self-care.
- How she manages her daily schedule.
- Her recommendations for writing software.
Other links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Career Change by Joanna Penn
The Success Principles – 10th Anniversary Edition: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield and Janet Switzer
The Successful Author Mindset by Joanna Penn
Thanks for listening !
Thanks so much for listening to this episode.
If you enjoyed it, I would be super grateful if you’d share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
And if you don’t have it yet, get your free 4-step Guide on How to Say no to Grow. You’ll be added to my list as well so I can share the latest episodes and other introvert related resources with you.
Also, please leave a review on iTunes. I’m told that they really matter so if you’d take a minute I’d appreciate it.