IBG 48 – Julienne DesJardins – Measuring Success by Your Own Standards
If your business is just one of many things going on in your life, it can be discouraging to compare yourself to other entrepreneurs who can devote more time—and grow more quickly. Julienne DesJardins argues that the best way to avoid those comparisons is to focus on the metrics you set for yourself and take pride in the business you have built.
Julienne is the mompreneur behind DesJardins Digital. She serves as a strategist for small business owners and aspiring freelancers, helping her clients design and implement email and social media marketing campaigns. She also supports new freelancers and VAs through coaching and strategy calls. Julienne is a Certified ConvertKit Expert with digital marketing expertise, and she holds a master’s in public administration.
Today, Julienne shares how she transitioned from the nonprofit world to that of freelancing. She walks us through her business model, explaining the benefits of shifting from one-off projects to retainer clients. Julienne discusses the pros and cons of being able to work independently for long periods of time as well as the way she schedules her day with respect to her natural rhythm. Listen in for Julienne’s insight around recognizing your value as an entrepreneur and measuring success by your own standards.
In this episode you’ll learn…
- Why Julienne chose entrepreneurship for the time freedom.
- How Julienne made the transition from one-off projects to retainer clients.
- The struggle around comparing your business growth to others.
- The mompreneur’s need for a support system of some kind.
- How Julienne leverages her introverted strength to work independently.
- The challenge Julienne faced in being reintroduced to collaboration.
- How reading Lean In inspired Julienne to start her own business.
- How Julienne came to recognize the value she provides through DesJardins Digital.
- How Julienne respects her natural rhythms and adjusts her schedule accordingly.
- How Freelance to Freedom helped Julienne establish processes in her business.
- Why Julienne recommends the Google suite of products.
- How Called to Create explores entrepreneurship from a faith-based perspective.
Jennifer’s favorite quote
“I may walk slowly but I never walk backward.” -Abraham Lincoln
Other links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
Thanks for listening !
Thanks so much for listening to this episode.
If you enjoyed it, I would be super grateful if you’d share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
And if you don’t have it yet, get your free 4-step Guide on How to Say no to Grow. You’ll be added to my list as well so I can share the latest episodes and other introvert related resources with you.
Also, please leave a review on iTunes. I’m told that they really matter so if you’d take a minute I’d appreciate it.