IBG 45 – Ann Brown – Overcoming the Fear of Visibility as an Introvert
Ann Brown had been hiding behind her laptop. Terrified of getting out there and being visible, she spent her days writing blog posts that no one was reading.
This struggle to represent ourselves is a common problem among introverts who feel real anxiety about selling what we do to other people. But if you’re not selling, you have a hobby—not a business. How did Ann break through that wall and allow herself to be vulnerable and visible?
Ann is the founder of Happy Being You, a business coaching program for sensitive introverts. One of the UK’s leading experts on overcoming the fear of visibility, Ann is passionate about helping introverted entrepreneurs get out of their own way, attract paying clients, and make a powerful impact on the people they are called to serve.
Today, Ann shares the personal tragedy that led her to establish her coaching program. She explains how her mind works as a sensitive introvert and how she leverages patience, tenacity and focus to be successful. Ann offers her take on promoting yourself as an introvert, managing overwhelm and overstimulation, and bringing yourself back into balance. Listen in for the story of Ann’s breakthrough and learn what inspired her to overcome the fear of visibility and cultivate a thriving business.
In this episode you’ll learn…
- How Ann’s mind works as a sensitive introvert.
- How personal tragedy led her to create Happy Being You.
- The difference between having a skill and establishing a business.
- Ann’s take on selling your business as an introvert.
- The online coaching model she uses to generate revenue.
- The value of group coaching programs for introverts.
- How Ann leverages patience, tenacity and focus to be successful.
- Why it takes time for introverts to build trust.
- How she manages overwhelm at networking events.
- Ann’s strategy for limiting the overstimulation caused by social media.
- How an AHA moment around making a video led Ann to her niche.
- Why it’s okay to show up as yourself and take imperfect action.
- The personal habit that brings her back into balance each morning.
- How Why We Sleep transformed the way Ann prioritizes her time.
Ann’s favorite quote
“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Other links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker PhD
The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Ariana Huffington
Thanks for listening !
Thanks so much for listening to this episode.
If you enjoyed it, I would be super grateful if you’d share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
And if you don’t have it yet, get your free 4-step Guide on How to Say no to Grow. You’ll be added to my list as well so I can share the latest episodes and other introvert related resources with you.
Also, please leave a review on iTunes. I’m told that they really matter so if you’d take a minute I’d appreciate it.