IBG 20 – Kelly Exeter – Controlling Your Thoughts as an Introvert
Kelly Exeter is a writer, editor, designer, speaker and business owner who is constantly working to find a balance between achieving the big goals she sets for herself while also being present for her family. A graphic and web designer by trade, she founded the boutique agency Swish Design ten years ago. While she continues to work behind the scenes at Swish, she recently stepped away from the front lines to take on the role of Editor at Flying Solo, Australia’s largest online network for solopreneurs and micro-business owners.
Kelly has published three titles and hopes to eventually focus on writing full-time. She has written extensively across the web for sites such as Mamamia, The Hoopla and Women’s Agenda as well as for print publications including Marie Claire. Kelly is also a blogger who shares her thoughts about living a simpler, more intentional life at kellyexeter.com.au.
In this episode you’ll learn…
- How she approaches parenting an extroverted child.
- How she and her husband work together to leverage their strengths, as he handles traditional one-on-one client interaction and she pursues content creation, design and online networking.
- Why she considers the ability to read people to be both her biggest strength and greatest weakness.
- How she makes the conscious decision to participate actively in conversation and avoid overthinking.
- How understanding that you don’t have to engage every thought that enters your head led to a breakthrough in her meditation practice.
- How a Myers-Briggs test influenced her decision to let go of the responsibilities of running her business and choose an environment where she could thrive.
- How a love of routine can be freeing as it allows you to think less.
- Why uncertainty is particularly challenging for introverted entrepreneurs.
Kelly’s favorite quote
“You can do anything, but not everything. It’s important to remember that when you say Yes to something, you’re also saying No to something else.”
Other links and resources mentioned in this episode
Slack Communication Tool
The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolph Dobelli
Thanks for listening !
Thanks so much for listening to this episode.
If you enjoyed it, I would be super grateful if you’d share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
And if you don’t have it yet, get your free 4-step Guide on How to Say no to Grow. You’ll be added to my list as well so I can share the latest episodes and other introvert related resources with you.
Also, please leave a review on iTunes. I’m told that they really matter so if you’d take a minute I’d appreciate it.